Friday, December 7, 2012

The Mermaid Tail : Final Construction Post

So I had all the pieces ready to go, I just needed to put them all together to turn them into something.

I started by sewing the beaded tail body piece to the piece of satin that was the same shape.  I then turned it right sides out and 'stuffed' the wadding in.  The idea of the wadding was to give the tail its own support so it wouldn't look so much like fabric.  I then ran a set of stitches down each side catching the wadding so it wouldn't move about (like when your doona moves over and you're left with just the cover to sleep under).

It really needs to stay where I put it...

Then I sewed the top and bottom closed.

Did I mention there was AN AWFUL LOT of hand sewing in this project.  My skills have really improved!

Then it was time to attach the magnificent tail piece... yep, more hand sewing!

By this point I had totally worn all the nail polish off my fingers...
... not really, I was just so busy I had no time to paint them!

Right!  Next job was to sew on some ribbons so the tail can be tied around anyone who wants to be a mermaid.  I figured this was the easiest way to make it one-size-fits-all.

I made sure that the ribbon was anchored through all layers in the corners and in the middle of each side, then I sewed it completely around the edges to the layer underneath it only.  I figured that was the best way to give it strength and make it pretty.  The last thing I want is one strap coming off - I've tried to make this thing to last.

I have done all this hand work on the table in my kitchen.  No we don't eat off it much...  But I'm so happy that it is there - its meant that I've been able to do all this hand work and still feel connected to my family.

Anyway, with the straps on I laid the tail out so I could check for any spots that needed more sequins stitched on.

Luckily there weren't many holes, cause I was kinda over it at this point...

Which brings me to today.

Today I have spent the day in the Sherbet Birdie studios in preparation for the shoot tomorrow.  Sasha shot the makeup artist, Lucy, and I in both outfits (yes, there is another one!) to check on poses, but to also make some beautiful photos of Lucy and I - aren't we lucky!!!  I can't wait to show you the photos - they are AMAZING!!!!!

So I will leave you with a photo of the completed tail in the studio, waiting for the lucky girls coming to shoot with us tomorrow.



  1. This piece is absolutely amazing!!! I just can't get over how you did so much of this by hand. That's real talent!

    The Fictionista

  2. Thanks Sean! Trust me, I would have rather not done it by hand - but there was no other way. On the positive though, my hand sewing skills have greatly improved!!!

  3. Wow!!!

    Love this, would love to know if you sew for other people as well, since i would be really interested in a tail like this one...

    Jany chassé