Thursday, May 17, 2012

Inspiration - Keeping track of all those ideas


There are so many ways to get inspired.  Sometimes its a straight-forward process where I read a sewing blog and see an outfit I love, or an idea I love, like this one:

This is Laura Mae from Lilacs and Lace You can read about this outfit here and here
Whats not to love about this outfit?  The blouse is adorable (I have since bought both patterns she used to make it, so I can make one too) and the ruffle on the bottom of the skirt finishes it off beautifully!

Or I'm having a virtual rummage through vintage clothing on Etsy, and I see something like this:

This is so divine it makes me want to cry.
This vintage dress would have fitted me, but the price was exorbitant, and with construction that simple I'm going to make my own 'knock-off' copy.

Other times it happens when my brain is resting while I'm walking the dog, or sitting on the couch.

"Come on Mum - lets go for a WALK!"

The first two are easy to deal with, now that I'm on Pinterest (you can follow me here by the way), I can just pin it on my sewing inspiration board.  But what about when I'm out walking the dog?  Or I see something in a mazagine?  What am I supposed to do then?

I'm beginning to think I need to get an actual pin board for my sewing room, where I can put up swatches of the fabric I have, and what I was thinking when I bought it.  I can also stick up notes, and magazine tear outs, and other random stuff...  This combined with my virtual pin boards on Pinterest might just mean that I am able to keep track of all that inspiration.

How do you keep track of the things that inspire you?  Do you think this idea will work?

On a sewing note, I had a VERY BUSY sewing day last weekend and entered what can only be described as a 'cutting-out frenzy'.  I currently have laid ot on the floor enough pieces to make:
  • two skirts (there was enough for four skirts, but I already made two)
  • four blouses
  • one dress
You see, I wanted to make skirts, so I bought what I considered to be the correct amount of fabric.  But I ended up with LEFTOVERS!  And enough leftovers to make a simple blouse from each fabric as well, and still have scrpas to give to my mum!  And while I was at it I also finished cutting out the dress I started a week and a bit ago.

I haven't been able to get photos of the two skirts I have made, but I'm going to try my hardest to do that this weekend.  They are adorable - you're gonna love them.

And I also want to sew up the remaining two skirts and four blouses this weekend.  They are simple enough so I think this is achievable...  The dress might have to wait for another day though...

Now...  off to the shops to find a cheap pin board.  Wish me luck!!

Beccie
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment