But first I got to go shopping for vintage buttons to go with my blouse fabrics. God I love buttons! There is just something about them that is almost magical.
My local (well - 1 hour away) antique centre has a store that has a good collection of buttons and some other bits and pieces. I call that stall The Button Lady. I realised recently you can also find her on etsy!
This is how the button lady has most of her buttons:
They are stitched onto cards, and sorted by colour. It makes it really easy to find what you are looking for!! There are more of these baskets on the other side of the stand, and there are also odds and ends in this lovely case.
It took some time to match buttons to my fabrics, but I ended up with the following, which I'm really happy with!
These are glass, and a better match in person...
I couldn't decide between these. The ones on the left are glass, the ones on the right are plastic. Seeing them now on the fabric instead of the card I think I'm going to go with the ones on the left.
This fabric was really difficult. Its a dark hot pink. The buttons on the right are a better match in person than in this photo, but the glass buttons on the right will go better with the skirt.... still umming and ahhing about these ones.
If I hadn't spend so much on buttons (and the arctic fox fur stole I couldn't leave behind) I would have purchased this adorable single-serve teapot!
Its a TOASTER!!!!!
So with the buttons pretty well sorted, I set about starting on the blouses. Just for a reminder, I'm using this pattern:
An "Easy To Sew" pattern that only has four pieces! Sounds good doesn't it - until you have to cut it out 8 times! Sigh, it took FFFFOOORRREEEVVVVEEERRR!!!
I did also cut out some bias strips. Instead of hemming the blouse and finishing the sleeve with a facing, I've decided to use bias made from the same fabric as the blouse.
I worked for two days straight on these 8 blouses...
By the way has anyone noticed that there are 7 skirts, but I'm making 8 blouses???
Thats because I'm getting in early and making the blouse to go with this skirt!
But more on that later...
Anyway, after spending two days I ended up with 8 blouses that could be hung on hangers, which made me feel like I'd achieved something!
The sleeves and the hems aren't finished, and they don't have collars, buttons or button holes, but I worked damn hard to get them to this point, and I just couldn't face going any further...
Well, I did put the collar on one just to see what it looked like...
Please excuse the terrible lighting, it was quite late...
I still have a lot of work ahead of me with these, BUT we are going to have a competition next week when I get them finished. I'm going to show you photos of the 7 finished blouses, and the 7 skirts, and I'm going to get you to guess which blouse goes with which skirt! Doesn't that sound like fun!!! All the people that get it right will go into the draw to win..... something. I haven't worked that bit out yet! hahaha!!
Wish me luck with getting these done! I have a feeling they will be the death of me!!