Last we spoke, the dress was all together but needed finishing touches (hems, buttons, zipper etc) but I'd made the bias tape. So really, there wasn't a lot to do, but its always the finishing touches that take the time!
I did mention in a previous post that I was changing the way this dress closes. Because I like my clothing fitted (ie. tight) I find that buttons end up gaping, so with that in mind, I decided to sew the fronts together and put in fake buttons and instead have a zipper in the left side.
The plan when sewing the fronts together was to not make it look too obvious... I started out by pinning the fronts together:
Then I ran a line of stitching 2/8ths of an inch in front the edge of the right front from where it meets the gingham on the shoulder, to just below where the skirt is sewn together in the pattern instructions.
Then I finished the stitching line down the front of the skirt on the front piece only. And finally, I went back to the top and sewed a line of stitching on the right side, so what I had was this:
Then I stitched the buttons on so they looked like they were keeping the dress closed, and sewed the bias on the sleeves and the bottom of the skirt. I just love the way it looks on the sleeves!
Now, a word of warning for anyone else thinking of sewing the fronts of their dresses together... Make sure you can still get your head through the neck hole!!!! This didn't even cross my mind when I came up with this idea, and thankfully my head juuuuust fits...
So now - the photos of me wearing the finished Cherry Gingham Dress!!!
A fitted dress with NO GAPING!!!
Gotta love a dress with a pocket...
Ok, so the back is a bit wrinkly... but I have been wearing this all day, so in reality its not that bad... and don't you just love the gingham bias tape finishing the skirt!!!
This is a great dress pattern, and really easy to sew up. I would like to make it up again in a rayon because I think it would also be fabulous in a fabric with a lovely soft hand and drape. I'll put it on the list shall I!