I meant to write this blog post sooner, but the week kind of got away from me. That may have something to do with going to the Chris Isaak concert on Wednesday night....
Yes, we got this close
Too much champagne + too little sleep = shockingly late blog post (and a lot of other things besides!)
But we are here now! Last weekend was really productive on the Mad Men Dress front. I pretreated my fabric (Easy! Read more about it here) and organised my pattern. Oh lawd the pattern!
I chose a pattern out of Gertie's New Book for Better Sewing. Now, I haven't made anything out of this book before, or any other books like it. Let me describe the process for you. I will leave out the bit where you tear out your own hair...
Inside the front cover of the book is an envelope that contains 5 big pieces of paper that are all folded up neatly. These five pages are printed on both sides and contain every pattern piece needed for the patterns in the book. All the pattern pieces randomly overlap each other and some go across two pieces of paper. Also, they are all multi-sized, so each pattern piece has 6 or 7 outlines (one for each size). Sounding like a nightmare yet???
And this one is an easy one!
You have to trace these onto pattern paper to make up the pattern you can use.
All I can say is that I'm REALLY HAPPY that this dress only has five pattern pieces (centre front, side front, back and two facings) cause tracing this thing nearly did my head in. To be honest, it kind of puts me off sewing anything else from the book (any thing else more complicated anyway).
After the drudgery of tracing the pattern pieces I really couldn't bring myself to sew a muslin, so I went straight for the wool crepe and crossed my fingers.
But wait! I tell a lie.
I did cut the top half of the centre front out of some crappy fabric so I could make the adjustments to it that I needed. The original centre front looks like this:
And I obviously need a different shape to the front with my dress, so I attacked it with the scissors and ended up with this:
Much more like what I need! I adjusted the paper pattern, made a new front facing and then went at the wool crepe.
And can I say that I am a convert. I love wool crepe! Oh so lovely to sew with HOWEVER god help you if you need to unpick anything. You will NEVER find the stitches!
The dress came together really easily - even doing underarm gussets for the first time was simple. Although I will admit I had to google for some more detailed instructions. It led me to a post on Gertie's blog that contained much more information and showed photos - lifesaver!
By the end of the day I had this, which I am calling the wool outer of the dress:
Please excuse the mess!
AND IT FITS! Always a bit of a nightmare when you make something new without making a muslin...
So this weekend I will be making the lining and the detail pieces and putting it all together! Its been so easy so far I'm waiting for something to go wrong!!!
Enjoy your weekends lovelies!