After last weeks effort of pre-cutting all the pieces I would need to make my red coat, I managed to spend two whole days putting it together... but its not finished yet! Oh no, there is still a way to go.
Making a coat like this is a bit of a committment of time and money, and if I'm going to do something I want to do it properly. This means have the inside looking as pretty as the outside, even if hardly anyone sees it.
With that in mind I decided to run bias tape (because I can't readily buy rayon seam binding - might have to hunt some down and try it...) down all the long edges of the main pieces of the coat. So it looks like this when the seams are sewn:
And wow didn't that take some time! And some bias tape - about 16 metres of the stuff (or 17 and a half yards for my American friends). A lot of effort considering the coat is lined and you will only ever see a couple of inches of it... Still, I'll know its there!
The other extra effort I went to was the button holes. Ever since I found out what they were, I have always wanted to try bound button holes, but hadn't had a project worthy of the effort of doing them on... until now! Serendipitously, the amazing blogger Laura Mae from Lilacs and Lace posted this extremely comprehensive tutorial on just how to do them! You can find it here.
Using this tutorial, I did a test button hole using my fabric:
My first bound buttonhole EVER!
And I was so happy with the result! So, with that in mind I moved forward on repeating the process on my coat front and facing.
This is the part where you make the little windows - kinda reminds me of a tissue box
Neat little windows
This is the end result, with the bits cut down and the thicknesses all graded
At this point some of you are probably wondering what buttons I chose...
Well the round buttons got two votes, and the lips got two votes, and the hearts got about 6 votes. But, I really like the lips, even though they are crazy and over the top, so I've done buttonholes that are a teeny-weeny bit too big for the hearts, but should be alright for the lips. This way I can start with the lips and then change to the hearts when I get sick of the lips!
Then it was just on with the basic construction - sewing it all together and matching seams and stuff like that. And while I was at it I sewed all the lining pieces together at the same time so that both the inside and the outside were up to the same point (if that makes sense). And following on from the detail oriented approach, the lining seams are all sewn using the 'french seam' method, so no frayed edges for the future!
At the end of two days of glorious time in my sewing room, I have ended up with this:
The coat is all together bar sorting out the length, hemming it, and inserting the lining (and a few small other details). And in putting this together I have been dreaming of the whole outfit I could create around this coat... but more on that later...
Oh, and if you want to see any other photos, check out my facebook page, which you can find here.