Friday, April 10, 2015

Capelet Sewalong : The Final Round-up!

What a great sewalong!  I hope you all enjoyed following along if you weren't sewing.  Thanks also goes to Decades of Style for giving us all a discount on the pattern.

Since finishing and wearing our capelets, and posting photos wearing them in the Facebook group, we have noticed just how versatile this garment is!  It can be dressed down with jeans, it can be dressed up with a fancy skirt or tailored pants, it can even be made from light fabric and worn as a blouse!  I honestly don't think this pattern is given enough credit, and I also think a lot of people have passed it over as being too odd.  Not true!

And here's the proof - our finished garments!  I'm pretty sure that once you've seen these you will want to sew one for yourself.

Diana Cruz-Hasler
Diana used some favourite fabric from her stash to make her capelet.  I love how the gold buttons bring out the gold in the fabric.



Meet Diana's two 'monkeys' Sierra and Chloe, who insisted in being in one of the photos.

Eszter Molnar
This lovely lady speed sewed through her capelet, only starting three days before the deadline - but how amazing is this ice blue colour on her!  In love!!
 



Janine Robertson
Janine also had a last minute run at the deadline and did really well to get it finished, as her capelet is lined as well.  She did make a small boo-boo, but we aren't going to talk about that here (10 points to anyone who can pick what it is).
 
In love with this colour too!

Joanna Hehn
Joanna picked some lovely fabric that really doesn't read well in this photo - its a brocade with a little floral paisley print in green, pink, and blue.  Great fit Joanna!


Kacy Burchfield
Kacy picked a fabulous pink and brown houndstooth print fabric, which was challenging to do bound buttonholes on, only because it made you cross-eyed!  Kacy also made a boo-boo, funnily enough the same one as Janine.  Have you picked it yet?
 



Katherine McRae
Contrary to the expression on her face, Katherine really loves her capelet!  What she wasn't loving at this time was wearing heels on wet grass, and the sun in her eyes.  She wore this outfit to church and got lots of compliments.  I'm not surprised either - how great does it look with more casual pants!




Naomi Brick
Naomi loves her capelet and is already planning a couple more.  This one came out a bit tight across the bust, but I think it is still very wearable!



Rachael Coutts
Rachael was the first finishedAnd look at that happy face!  Its the result of someone who challenged themselves with their sewing and succeeded!  Rachael only started sewing THIS YEAR so all of you that think this project is too advanced for you - think again!


By the way Rachael - that building behind you is magnificent - what is it (besides a glasshouse)?


Tanith Kovari
Tanith is another one who challenged herself with this pattern, and I think the result is fabulous.  And that amazing fabric will go with just about anything!
 

Then there was me.  I made two capelets, one in gaberdine and one in velveteen.  I also made items to wear with my capelets.  A dress for the gaberdine capelet, and a skirt for the velveteen one.  Except there was a problem... the dress didn't fit.

It took me 24 hours to dust myself off from that - it really rocked my confidence in how I felt about myself, and how I thought I looked.  But dust myself off I did, and here are the results.

My gaberdine capelet:



And my velveteen capelet and skirt:



I love both outfits and I think they are going to be worn often as the weather here cools.

The lovely people at Decades of Style were so happy with the response to the sewalong that they have generously donated a US$50 voucher, so I had Stella help draw me a winner from the girls who participated.  I assigned numbers to the girls in the order that they submitted their photos.  This is the number Stella drew:


Its upside-down, but thats the number 3, and number 3 was:

JOANNA HEHN!!!

Congratulations Joanna!  Send me an email to collect your voucher.

Ladies, once again WELL DONE.  Each and every one of you did a magnificent job, thanks so much for participating!  And for those of you that weren't able to join in, I hope that seeing the finished products made by sewers with different experience levels makes you want to take out that pattern and have a go for yourself!

Beccie
xxx

11 comments:

  1. Picking out the mistakes people made again Beccie? Ya big meanie! Lol

    They all look really fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I originally thought, "Where am I going to wear this!?" but I made it anyway, and it really is much more wearable and versatile than I expected.

    I love seeing it in all these different colours and fabrics and the different styling. It makes me want to make another!

    Beccie you look ridiculously stunning in that slinky black with the gabardine capelet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful work ladies! Yes, yes, Beccie that black skirt with the gabardine capelet is smashing on you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look amazing, ladies! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They all look wonderful! Lovely job everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You all look fabulous! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really do think I am going to have to make a couple of these. I have some gorgeous black velvet and a plethora of gold trims I could use and I already have a couple of similar knitted styles in my wardrobe that I love wearing coming autumn and winter! so maybe a lighter fabric for the warmer months.

    Can't say I agree with them being mistakes though, I think it is personal preference which side you button ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bravoooo, gals! Where are the rest of the photos though. I thought there were way more gals participating.

    Cheers,

    Lyric

    ReplyDelete