Wednesday, August 7, 2013

A New Lease of Life

*** This is NOT a post about upcycling.  Upcycling is where good vintage goes to be slaughtered.  You can read more on my opinions about upcycling here ***

I recently purchased this amazing 1940s rayon house coat.


There were no holes, but there were a few small stains, and it didn't sound like it would fit my hips ... but the print!!!  DIVINE!!!  So I bought it anyway, hoping I could make something out of it.


When it arrived I fell in love with the weight of the fabric - its easily four times heavier than the dress I was wearing last week!  And I put it on and realised I could make a dress with a slightly off centre closure!!

So I went on the hunt for some buttons and found these 1960s ones.  I would have preferred 1940s ones but the colour was just too perfect!


First job was to shorten it about 5 inches, and this was when I realised that someone else had already shortened it!

See that dodgy hem, and the cotton was a different colour to the other seams...

And then next job was to do bound button holes.  Now I've done a lot of these just recently, but in wool, which is not shifty and cranky like rayon.


It took a while but we got there in the end!  I sewed the buttons on and a new fancy and strong hook and eye at the waist and ta-da!


And here it is on me!


So now, the housecoat that no-one wanted is now a fabulous wearable dress!  Has anyone else done a similar thing to a piece of vintage to make it more wearable?

Beccie
xxx

12 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! You did a great job. I haven't done anything like this because all the dresses I like are for tiny women.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats true Mariela - if its too small its too small. Its hard to add what isn't there. I was lucky that this was a wrap style robe and that there was still overlap by the time it got around my substantial behind :)

      Delete
  2. Oh super cute! You are just so talented! Love this rose print...amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Joanna - isn't the print amazing! I had to have it :)

      Delete
  3. Wow! I love it! Good technique and a marvelous result!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the same about "upcycling"! I mourn all the lovely frocks that have been defaced. However, what you did is perfect! I can't believe you attempted bound buttonholes on rayon. That is darn impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest Amy, I didn't think about the fact that it might be difficult until I was half way through and trying to make the button hole lips... and by then it was too late. I cursed many times I assure you - and the steam burns from the iron!!! Ouchies!!! However, it all came out fine and I'm happy I did it - I love the contrasting red button holes with the turquoise buttons :)

      Delete
  5. "Upcycling is where good vintage goes to die." Best.line.of.the.day. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You sure made a housecoat look good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am wow'd by your talent (and blog). This was nice to see this day, SRR. Thanks for sharing. You are cute as a button in your dress. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great! I have a stripey housecoat with a Chinese collar and orange flowers across the shoulders that is currently in my 'unfinished objects' pile! Made an attempt at putting darts in and never quite made a success of it... One day!

    ReplyDelete