Friday, March 23, 2012

I've been given a Versatile Blogger Award!

How lovely... I feel so honoured!


I was given this award by the lovely Laura Mae from Lilacs & Lace who recently inspired me to make my 7m of fabric dress, which you can find out more about here.

The idea with the Versatile Blogger Award is that I tell you 7 things about myself that you wouldn't ordinarily know, and pass the award on to 15 other bloggers that I follow regularly.  I don't follow that many bloggers regularly, so I think I'll just pass it on to the blogs that I do - even if its only 4 or so.

I suppose the thing about this award and telling you 7 things about myself is to show that I am a versatile person (yes?) who can do anything I put my mind to... so here goes!

1. I only started sewing less than 12 months ago
The school I went to was an academic school that didnt teach subjects like sewing and cooking etc, which is a shame because I would have really excelled at those subjects!  My mum (who sews and crafts) taught me the basics when I was 17 but I didn't do much with it and hadn't sewn anything until I picked it up again last year.  And like a duck to water I haven't looked back!  I love to sew, and I love my creations and wear them often.

2.  I have a miniature schnauzer puppy named Stella

Doesn't she look remarkably like the puppy on the garbage bin???

Stella is my baby, and she is my almost constant companion.  She is spoilt rotten but has a beautiful friendly happy personality, and she's wonderful to spend time with.  After knowing her I will never own another breed of dog again.  I called her Stella so I could shout out S-T-E-E-E-L-L-L-A-A-A-A-A-A across the park like the character in A Streetcar Named Desire.  I didn't name her after beer, and people that think that obviously don't know me very well!

3.  I used to sing Opera in my spare time
So I love to sing, but I don't like to sing in public.  I have a confidence issue which springs from my school days.  A girl that I really looked up to told me I sounded terrible, so from that point on I didn't sing in public.  I tried to overcome that, and did sing a bit on stage, but never felt REALLY comfortable so let it go.  However I did sing again on stage just recently (two weeks ago I think) and most of the audience thought I was miming apparently, so it must have been good.  I think this is something I need to work at getting over in the future.

4. I'm getting married in less than a week
Yep its true, I'm off the market guys!  hahaha!

Photo by the lovely Jodi McDonald
Steve doesn't normally sport a moustache by the way - he grew one for Movember last year.

I'm marrying the love of my life, Mr Stephen Leathley in a beautiful three day celebration in the beautiful Montville, Queensland, Australia.  There will be more on this later, as I'm planning to write a blog post about it, so watch this space!!!

5. I was recently a competitor in the grand finals of Miss Pinup Australia
Last year for a bit of fun I entered the Miss Pinup Australia competition, and I was awarded the state title of Miss Classic Pinup Runner Up NSW.  This meant that I had to compete in the grand finals set to be held just two and a half weeks before my wedding!  I had a great time, increased my confidence, sung in front of 500 odd people, and got to swan around in gorgeous vintage clothing, but unfortunately I didnt win anything.  I am planning a post about this too when I have the photos from the professionals that were there that night, so once again, watch this space!!!

6. I dress like a lady of the 1950s every day
I live in a country town in Australia, so I stand out a lot from the other people that live here!  When people ask me why I dress like this I tell them that I love the fashions from that era, they suit my body shape, and they make me feel beautiful, elegant, and feminine.  I can't see the downside to be honest!  And as an extra added bonus SO MANY PEOPLE stop me to tell  me how beautiful I look, or that they love my dress etc.  It far outweighs by about 100 to 1 the people that look at me funny, or snigger.  And it just makes me feel sorry for them that they are so closed minded.

7. I can now be called a professional model!
Yes I can, because the other day I WAS PAID to do a catwalk show in some of my vintage outfits... and I figure that since I was paid, I am now a professional!  How hilarious is that!!  This then led to Steve telling anyone who would listen that he is marrying a model!

So, now to the people I would like to nominate:
Go and check out their blogs!

Thanks for reading

Beccie
xxx

2 comments:

  1. this post had me smiling from ear to ear. in case you cant tell, im going through your archives to see how your sewing has evolved. i cant believe you had only been sewing 1 yr at htis point! my dh got me a sewing machine for my bday in 2011 and i am still struggling :/ im a self taught knitter self taught spinner but my self taught sewing skills arent progressing very well :/ i really want to get to the point i can confidently make things. i have a rather large bust and large butt and thighs and finding things to fit (especially in france!) is soooo hard :( i've read up on FBA and have tried it acouple of times but so far just am not having luck. ill just keep reading up here and on gertie's blog and hope that some of your skills will stick to me through osmosis or something ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldnt it be wonderful if you could actually learn skills by osmosis! Hmmmm, I'm not sure what skill I would like to absorb first!

      Delete